About FSA HS
A charter school is a public school that operates according to the terms of a charter, or contract, that has been approved by a local board of education and the State Board of Education. The charter school may request waivers from provisions of Title 20 of Georgia state law and any state or local rule, regulation, policy, or procedure relating to schools in the school district. In exchange for this flexibility, the charter school is bound by contract to be held accountable for meeting the performance-based objectives specified in the charter.
FSA HS is a charter high school approved by the Fulton County Board of Education and the State Board of Education for an initial five (5) years term. FSA HS has waivers from provisions of Title 20 except the following:
- Charter Schools Act of 1998,
- School Accountability Provisions,
- Code Section Re:Shall Not Charge Tuition,
- Unlawful Conduct in or near a Public School,
- Reporting Requirements – Student Data Collection,
- Brief Period of Quiet Reflection,
- Open Records and Public Meetings of the Governing Board, and
- Fingerprinting and Criminal Record Check of All Personnel Employed.
In exchange of this flexibility FSA HS is accountable to meet the following performance criteria:
- Average scores of FSA HS students who are administered an End Of Course Test (EOCT) will be statistically significantly higher than that of FCSS average in the same course in every year the course administered.
- Passing scores percentage in Advance Placement (AP) courses will be significantly higher than that of the FCS average passing rate in the specific course in every year the course administered.
- Average of scores of FSA HS students who are administered Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) will be statistically significantly higher than that of FCS average in the specific area such as writing, science, etc. in every year tests are administered.
- Average of scores of FSA HS students who take Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) will be statistically significantly higher than that of FCS average beginning third year of the operation.
FSA HS approved charter also stipulates that FSA HS is going to employ the state curriculum standards in its course offerings as a minimum. This standardization allows transfers in and out of the school without a loss of any earned credit. Students can easily enroll at FSA HS at any time of their high school without losing their earned credit. Any applicable transferred credit will be applied towards the graduation. Please click here to learn more about the graduation requirements for FSA HS students.
Charter schools are public schools. The Georgia Charter Schools Act of 1998 states that a local charter school shall be included in the allotment of Quality Basic Education (QBE) formula earnings, applicable QBE grants, applicable non-QBE state grants, and applicable federal grants to the local school system in which the local charter school is located.The local board and the state board shall treat a start-up charter school no less favorably than other local schools within the applicable local system with respect to the provision of funds for instruction, school administration, transportation, food services, and, where feasible, building programs.
Fulton Science Academy High School (FSA HS) is an innovative public charter school serving Fulton County students since 2006 school year. As a charter school FSA HS is focused on the use of educational technology and computing resources to improve learning and better equip its graduate students for 21st century the new era of ubiquitous computing.
• Improvements in teacher productivity, student-teacher interaction and communication between parents and teachers;
• Easier access by teachers and students to up-to-date instructional content; and
• A more dynamic and engaging classroom environment. Students feel better organized and motivated, more technologically proficient and increasingly adept at self-directed learning.
FSA HS is governed by a seven member Governing Board. Five members of the board are the permanent founding board member positions and the other two positions are elected annually from parents of enrolled students. The Governing Board is responsible for upholding the mission of the school and meeting the performance goals of the charter. Setting up policies to ensure the success of all students is the primary duty of the Governing Board.
Current board member names and contact information is listed on the school directory.
|FSA HS is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. For questions regarding accreditation of our school please contact SACS Georgia office:
3745 Cherokee Street, NW
Kennesaw, GA 30144